Thursday, February 28, 2013

You say Po-tay-toe....

During lunch yesterday, some co-workers and I sat in the conference room and watched Giada cook her glorious food on The Cooking channel... I didn't realize she was ok Cooking and Food Network..One in the same I suppose... ::hmpp::
Not only did I take away great ideas from her show, Cheese and Veggie stuffed Chicken Breast Rollups, but got a great idea from a co-worker. She has been making Zucchini Cakes that I am desperate to try!

However.... I have a 5 lbs bag of potatoes at home ( on sale for $2.99- can't go wrong) that I need to cook up... I decided to make home-made potato cakes....From scratch....without a recipe... I'm brave...

So here is the scoop on my self-created Cheesy Potato Cake Recipe:



*Note: This recipe will make about 6 potato cakes (small medium in size)*

Step One:
GRATE two large white potatoes. I opted not to shred the potato because 1- my shredder wouldnt shred and 2- the grater actually gives a finer, creamier texture in the finished product.

Step Two:
Move grated potatoes to a mesh strainer (or a bundle of paper towels) to press out 90% of water from the potato.

Step Three:
Move your nearly dried potatoes to an empty, clean, mixing bowl. Salt, Pepper and Garlic.. I am not a heavy salt- eater, but add it to taste. I use literally a pinch (between pointer finger and thumb). About a pinch and a half of pepper so you're not over-spicing and I LOVE garlic, so I used close to half a teaspoon...

Step Four:
Add a 1/4 cup of shredded cheese & mix together. I used a cheddar/ colby jack mix because I like the sharpness paired with the creamy sweet of the potato.

Step Five:
Use cooking spray to coat your frying pan, warming it on low-medium heat. These potato cakes are really tender because of how fine the potatoes will be grated.

Step 6:
Plop your hand-shapen potato cakes into the pan and let them brown. They should cook on low-medium heat in about 10- 12 minutes and be golden on both sides (Flipping Twice after 3-4 mins on each side).

Finish off with a shake of parmesan cheese as your cakes cool to add a nice bite=]

*Additional Notes*

- If you are working with an older stove or electric, you may need to add or subtract a few minutes depending.Either way- make sure you flip after 3-4 minutes on each side to make sure that you are cooking equally on each side!

- If you don't have a stove (believe me I have been there)- opt to cook this in your toaster/ convection oven at 300- 325 degress  for ten minutes or until golden brown. Make sure you STILL use a non-stick spray so the bottoms dont burn =]  


Keep an eye out because tomorrow I will have a recipe for my Chicken Breast rollups stuffed with White Aged Cheddar and Broccoli Florets.. SO excited!!!!

Tmd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...