Monday, April 29, 2013

Under the Sea....

Who knew Long Island housed an aquarium? I for one, only found out within the passed year and am thrilled I finally got to visit..

Early this month my mama drove on up from Ohio for the weekend! Needless to say....it was a ::doozie::

Though I am absolutely delayed in posting- I figured I would share my recommendation with everyone else and give you all a glimpse of what I encountered on my visit!

That being said- here is a small collage of our visit to ATLANTIS - the Long Island, [ RIVERHEAD, NY] Aquarium!


You can dive with the sharks (too scary for me), pet sting rays and sand sharks, play with sea lions and hold starfish....All of the above- I was too squeamish to do on my own! I held a starfish but only after the staff member placed it in my hand! Yet the 5 year olds down the line from me were ready to dive -right- in... If only I was still that brave! hahaha!

I fully intend to contact this organization about volunteering! They have an entire segment of their building dedicated to the rehabilitation of these rescued animals and can use all of the help and donations people can provide.

They have training programs, butterfly exhibits, shark and sting ray pods where baby sharks and stingrays grow in their little birth pouches and even birds!

If you're interested in planning a little adventure- I highly recommend it! Check out their website here: Atlantis! 

When is Shark Week?

Learn more about Atlantis Rescue Center

Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation


The weekend of my adventure also brought a trip to the very tip of the northern shore of long island. I literally took an iPhone screen shot to document how far we had driven! Plus, we found close to 100 winery/farms on Sound Avenue! Summer & grape season cannot come soon enough!

Love Wine?? Live on/ Near/ Planning Visit to Long Island???
Check out LI Wine Country.....Here!

Dreaming of strawberry wine....

Tmd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...